This coming Wednesday is Valentine’s Day which is one of the highly debated holidays in our society. Some say its a capitalist exploit of love. Others say it’s the only holiday that celebrates romantic love. Most critics usually claim that they show their love to their partner 365 days a year and therefore, Valentine’s day is unnecessary. I think my stance is probably a mix of both. I don’t think Valentine’s day is that important but neither are some of the other holidays we have (Columbus day) yet we still choose to observe them. Either way, the most important thing on Valentine’s day and any other day is to understand what love is as well as what love is not. Therefore, I have come up with 10 personal descriptions of what love is to me.
- Love is when my dad clipped my shoe laces in high school because i was lazy and refused to tie my shoe laces when they came untied.
- Love is when my mom wakes up at the crack of dawn when we’re hosting parties so she can make all the amazing food that we love.
- Love is when my little brother gives me the biggest teddy bear hugs just because.
- Love is when my older brother made sure i had spending money in high school.
- Love is when my sister in law gifts me all her nice clothes that she no longer wears.
- Love is when my baby niece screams with excitement when she sees me after a long time apart.
- Love is when my grandfather’s brother (Guka Ndogo) took care of his wife for 40+ years when she went blind. Despite being 95+ years, he died only after his wife passed away. Their renewal of vows on their 50th wedding anniversary was actually featured in the Daily Nation, Kenya’s premier newspaper.
- Love is when my best friend would give me numerous car rides in high school when I didn’t have a car. Also, I can never forget that she’s attending 95% of my family’s graduations.
- Love is when I take myself out to get a massage and take time out to treat myself.
- Love is when I put my heart and soul into writing a blog post that touches someone’s life. On that note, I love all the feedback I get from those who read my blog.
I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine’s day whether you celebrate it or not! 🙂 ❤